Aquaponics - Modular potting II

I thought I'd formalize the idea of movable modular plants by changing a small section of my grow bed to test the idea.

I started with an icecream container and drilled some holes in it to allow nutrient rich water to circulate freely.

I partialy burried it in the media where my core sampler used to be.

The depth I burried it is set so that the pots would see around 10-15mm of water at their ankles.

I used the same black plastic pots that I used in the NFT test tube, so I can move them to a new home when they need more space.

Nine seedling fit in the test modular garden.

If all goes according to plan, I should be able to move these at will into the NFT tubes that I plan on making. It will be a bit like transplanting, but without all the transplanting.

I'm not sure how well it will work, or if it will work at all. Sometimes unforeseen things happen when I do stuff without research.

One potential problem I can see is the possibility of the roots just ignoring my boundaries and doing whatever they please.

I think that's what I would do if I were a plant.

But I'm not so I have no idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts