Aquaponics - Hatched bugs

A while ago I found a few million eggs deposited under my baby spinach. I wasn't sure if they were going to be my friends, or be pests.

On the up side, they hatched and moved away.

On the down side, they moved to my lettuce.

I think they are aphids.

They look every bit as exciting and sociable as sea monkeys.

I don't think they are going to be my friend.

There are a few ways to get rid of aphids. One way is to wait until I sort out my spider based sticky trap, and the other is to buy a few sticky traps.

After a few attempts at spider relocation, I'm unconvinced that my current method will ever pay dividends, so I guess it's off to the garden section of my nearest hardware.

I've also heard you can use a hand held vacuum cleaner to vacuum them out of your garden. I knew it would eventually be useful. Lucky for me I've been keeping an unused dust-buster handy for the last fifteen years, just in case a mass invasion of tiny bugs should threaten to over run us, and install themselves as our insectoid overlords.

When wearing my foil helmet, and with my dust-buster in its holster, people used to point and laugh derisively at me.

Well, not any more.

Not any more.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts