Aquaponics - Alf alfa sprout transplant test

I thought I'd test an alf alfa sprout transplant to see if there were going to be any issues.

The result was both a success and a fail.

I started with some normal alf alfa sprouts pulled from my sprouter device.

I figured half a dozen would be a good number to test.

I thought perhaps the shock of going from my perfect humidity, no wind, no real temperature swings, sprouting device might make them all kick the bucket when dropped suddenly into my aquaponics system.

The first one I planted was rested into a shallow hole made in the scoria. I figured I'd have to be pretty gentle with them because the scoria is a little rough.

I ate the rest, so I'm not sure this really qualifies as good science.

But after covering it up it looked like this.

I'm not sure if this pic is right after he transplant or the next day, but either way it looked like this the next day.

It was planted in the hottest part of a reasonably hot day, so I think it can be claimed as successful.

But the day after, it looked like this.

I had to dig around a bit to find it because whatever had eaten it, had eaten it down to beneath ground level.

I hate slugs.

120 Things in 20 years - And that folks, is why we should not eat the science, when testing sprout transplants in aquaponics.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts