Bread - "Lame" or bread slashing thing

A "lame" (pronounced in the first part of this), or "bread slashing thing" is a razor blade on a stick.

It's really important if you want to make those nice textured loaves that are slashed before baking, like baguettes.

I found a knife did a poor job, and I keep my knives sharp. The problem was their thickness rather than their sharpness. A scalpel worked a bit better, but was still too thick.

I thought I'd make one, and it worked really well. It's what I used on my last loaf, with the 5 overlapping cuts.

I started by wrecking a disposable razor. Safety glasses are important here, bits flew all over the place.

Really, really, really, sharp bits.

Wear glasses.

If you get a razor stuck in your eye, I bet it really stings every time you blink.

Wear glasses.

Next step was to trim it into a shape that I thought would work. My aim was to minimise friction as it cut into the loaf.

Scissors worked to shape the blade. The thin blades cut like thick paper.








The to make a handle, I cut the end off a chopstick...












And split it with a steak knife.













I made the split long enough to hold a decent amount of the blade.












And glued it in place with super glue.

It works really well.

I think the secret to the slashing bit is bold confident strokes.








Here's a picture of a totally unrelated ball of dough in a glass of water.
















120 Things in 20 years is all about boldness and confidence. And bread and a lame. And a glass of water with dough in it.

4 comments:

  1. You had me at , "Bread slashing thing". Love your idea of learning new things and wanting company.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for making me giggle and for a really good idea for a lame!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just had a look at your blog and caught sight of some amazing looking loaves. Drool... https://aroundthemulberrytree.wordpress.com/2017/02/05/in-my-kitchen-february-2017/

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts