Things so far...
Animation (5) Aquaponics (338) Bread (15) Cheese (14) cooking (49) electronics (57) Epic adventurer (20) Escargot (2) Fire (6) Fraudster (1) Handmade fishing lures (31) Home made preserves (11) Making smoked foods (11) Mold making (7) Movie watcher and critic (2) Photography (17) PVC (36) Snail farming (6) Solar hot water (26) Solar photovoltaic panels (7) Stirling Engines (11) Thinking (49) Vermiculture (1) Wind energy (25)
Wind energy - Making the furling model
I tend to strive for 2nd best practice anyway, so it's all good. Here is what I did.
First up I cut some blades out of a 30cm cardboard clingwrap tube.
I used about a quarter of a tube for each blade.
I made the first cut straight along the tube, and the next cut from a quarter of the tube away. Cut to one centimetre away from the first cut at the tip.
That's not so clear. If they look a bit like the picture they will probably work. I wasn't too fussy with angles and things because this wont matter if it falls to bits.
I'd be fussy with the real thing, because vibration will be an issue.
It turns out, many electric motors will produce electricity if you rotate them.
In this case, my blades will be rotating clockwise.
As mentioned in a previous post on blade twist, the leading edge bits that sticks out from the centre line in the middle of the blades, are there because we want a steep angle of attack, and a fatter blade profile at the centre. This is because a given spot near the centre moves slower than a given spot at the tip.
From what I've read, the tail area should be somewhere around 15% of the swept area of the blades.
So 16% of pi X (blade length X blade length)
But I just cut something that looked about right.
The nail goes through on an angle of around 20 deg, so that the bottom points away from the tail.
genius system of furling.
Now all we need to do is make a base plate with a few holes drilled in it to mount everything on.
It should look like this.
But instead of a pipe set at an angle I just drilled a hole at an angle through some wood.
To create the angles required, and to make your tail do the right thing as described in the post called genius furling, there are a few angles and dimensions to get right.
-mark out a 50 deg angle (green)
-and weld a pipe on a 20 deg angle (yellow), pointing back along the line made by the 50 deg angle.
This creates an offset between the turbine and the tail.
-this offset (blue) should be around 5% of the length of one blade.
What all this does, is makes your tail and the offset blades try to meet in strong winds because the tail is always trying to point down wind. This means the blades turn away from the wind, thus protecting them from spinning too fast and either burning out all your wiring, or total catastrophic destruction of everything. The weight of the tail resists this meeting, because it has to move up if its to move to the side, due to the 20 deg angle. Adjusting the weight of the tail adjusts the wind speed required to furl the system.
Ingenious. (and sadly not my idea)
It's described better in the post I called genius furling.
Here is a video showing the test turbine working. This video shows the angles a bit better than the last as I attached a drinking straw pointing straight back at 90 deg to the blades. Especially in the last few seconds of the video, the straw shows the angle of the turbine in relation to the tail as the wind speed changes (using a fan). The wind direction stays the same throughout the video.
The bell siphon was a clever thing for someone to design, and as such you feel a bit of that "clever" rub off onto you when you m...
You see CHIFT PIST a lot in the aquaponics forums and it means "constant height in fish tank, pump in sump tank". And its a very g...
A "bell siphon" is a device that automates the flooding and draining of an aquaponics grow bed, even though the pump is adding wa...
Painting lures is easier if you don't know how. I don't, so I'm already well on my way. I started by owning a printer. That ...
A while ago I tried to make a fish fed fish feeder design that would allow the fish to feed themselves. I think It's made. I say &q...
Apparently, marron come in two varieties. Hairy and not so hairy. Cherax cainii (smooth) and Cherax tenuimanus, or Margret River marron (hai...
In aquaponics, one issue that can effect your success rate is the pH of your water. pH is a measure of water's (or soil's or whateve...
With a little practice its possible to make a screw. If you bend your wire into an eyelet, its possible to make a screw in eyelet. The use...
I had an idea, but now I'm not sure it was mine after all. But here it is anyway. I need to get solids out of the water for the NFT, ...
This post is a follow up to the " handmade fishing lures how to get most out of your printer " post describing my way to colour ha...