I have to admit to being a little surprised when this one worked.
The only tools required were a small pair of scissors, and the entire wealth of human knowledge as provided by the Internet.
Thanks entire wealth of human knowledge as provided by the Internet.
Thanks small scissors.
I started with the blades. Its probably easiest to see how these are made by looking at this previous post on blade twist.
In the cardboard version, the halves are connected by the thin, square, sticking out bit on the bottom LEFT, so the triangle bits on the top left become the leading edge of the blade. This one would rotate anticlockwise if the wind came from under the green thing in the background.
Bottom right tip goes up. Bottom left square bit is the centre.
The drinking straw version will also be made with two blades connected at the middle so there is no need to cut the straw in half. Just cut the required shape from a single straw. This means the blades will line up perfectly because both are made in one piece. Keep a small section of whole straw in the centre to aid in keeping the axle in place.
Jam a pin through the centre to act as an axle.
The only important thing here is to get the angle of the pin at around 20 degrees.
Don't be too fussy because its very easy to make a new pinhole.
You will need to adjust this a few times unless you are lucky.
The straw that goes out to the far right is to stop the tail swinging back too far (adjustable with bendy bit)
The bit that points up in the centre is the section that holds the tail pin. (also adjustable so you can play with that 20 degree angle a bit to see what changing it will do)
The bit that points diagonally up and to the left holds the turbine.
making the furling model.
Pictured left, is the design version of the three straw and tape thing pictured above. [I just noticed it's facing the opposite way just to be irritating]
Just fold a section of straw in half lengthways, and stuff it into the straw where the pin needs to go.
This just makes the hole smaller.
One for the turbine (pictured), the tail mount, and the pivot point for the entire contraption to mount it to the straw we will use as the pole.
Next stick a folded straw bearing into a full length drinking straw. That's your pole. Stick everything else onto the pole, and it's done.
There are at least four points of adjustment that will let you learn some stuff.
1. The tail pin's angle. Making it slope more will make it furl later in stronger winds. Less,earlier in lighter winds. Adjust by changing the pin and/or the straw that the pin sits in (bendy bit)
2. The pivot point offset (the bottom most picture). Adjust it's position so that some balance is achieved between the blades desire to fold, and the tails desire to keep everything pointed into the wind. Shift it around randomly until it works. Mine worked best at the extreme left. If it still doesn't work try changing the weight of the tail.
3. Adjusting the weight/length/area of the tail can change when the device furls.
4. The tail stop point (bendy bit) that stops the tail from going back too far when its in the NOT furled position.
Remember if a bit doesn't work, it only take a few minutes to make a replacement part. I might have been lucky with my blades, but everything worked well enough to adjust some bits to get it right.
It might even be worth making a few different blades to see what they do.
Test with a fan, the wind, or even a brisk walk. Yes, you will look silly if you mount your wind turbine on a hat, but it's a small price to pay for knowledge.
Things so far...
Animation (5) Aquaponics (338) Bread (15) Cheese (14) cooking (49) electronics (57) Epic adventurer (20) Escargot (2) Fire (6) Fraudster (1) Handmade fishing lures (31) Home made preserves (11) Making smoked foods (11) Mold making (7) Movie watcher and critic (2) Photography (17) PVC (36) Snail farming (6) Solar hot water (26) Solar photovoltaic panels (7) Stirling Engines (11) Thinking (48) Vermiculture (1) Wind energy (25)
The bell siphon was a clever thing for someone to design, and as such you feel a bit of that "clever" rub off onto you when you m...
You see CHIFT PIST a lot in the aquaponics forums and it means "constant height in fish tank, pump in sump tank". And its a very g...
A "bell siphon" is a device that automates the flooding and draining of an aquaponics grow bed, even though the pump is adding wa...
Painting lures is easier if you don't know how. I don't, so I'm already well on my way. I started by owning a printer. That ...
A while ago I tried to make a fish fed fish feeder design that would allow the fish to feed themselves. I think It's made. I say &q...
Apparently, marron come in two varieties. Hairy and not so hairy. Cherax cainii (smooth) and Cherax tenuimanus, or Margret River marron (hai...
In aquaponics, one issue that can effect your success rate is the pH of your water. pH is a measure of water's (or soil's or whateve...
With a little practice its possible to make a screw. If you bend your wire into an eyelet, its possible to make a screw in eyelet. The use...
I had an idea, but now I'm not sure it was mine after all. But here it is anyway. I need to get solids out of the water for the NFT, ...
This post is a follow up to the " handmade fishing lures how to get most out of your printer " post describing my way to colour ha...