Handmade fishing lures - Squid

Why doesn't Ctrl + z work in the real world.

The first attempts were a bit disappointing as I didn't get the balance right and ended up cutting off too much of my weight. The weight was designed to adjustable once I was somewhere I could test it, but taking too much off is difficult to undo when you are out in the world rather than at a workbench.

The end result was that I had to use my small pliers to remove the rearmost stainless steel hook cluster to balance my balancing.

I still didn't get it right, but with some extra work on my part, I got it to work well enough to catch this.

Squid caught on my first handmade squid jag
After catching this one, I retired the lure from service, never to see water again. My squid jag's retirement was in part because I damaged the hook assembly when cutting off the last row of hooks, and partly due to wanting to keep it as it's the first of its kind.

I'll need to make some adjustments to the design, but the next step will be to make a range in different designs, sizes and colours, and start to use them as a normal part of a fishing trip.

Making my own handmade fishing lures is officially viable and turns out to be a very rewarding thing to do.

I throughly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts