I bought some very inexpensive cuts of chicken labelled "Breast roasts for two" from my local supermarket.
They appeared to me to be a prime candidate for value adding.
I brined them in a solution of water, salt, sugar, pepper, and some lemon juice. I also threw in a couple of bay leaves. I have no accurate record of the measurements used.
Measurements are a tricky thing, because you cant rely on one batch being the same as the next. The amount of meat, and it's existing water and salt content create differences. You can probably ignore the existing levels, but the amount of meat being brined changes things a lot. The result is you cant just say x amount of water needs y amount of salt.
As I understand it, the process of absorbing the salt and sugar is done by osmosis. Salt is removed from the water, so the amount of meat in the brine changes how much salt is left in the brine. The result is the solution might need to be stronger to brine more meat. Irregular shaped meat like my chicken breast still on the bone, requires a bigger amount of water to cover it.
The good thing is, it will probably work well no matter what you do, but it does make a recipe a bit pointless.
That being said I used about 6 litres of water and a bit over half a cup of both salt, and sugar.
Brine your food in cold water, in the fridge.
After an hour and a half, I removed the chicken, pat it dry, and placed it into my lidded BBQ.
A 12 or 24 hour brine would have been better but I was pressed for time.
Perfect, cold smoke in minutes.
A total success.
The wood chips were from a store bought pack of smoking wood chips.
I'm pretty sure this would ruin the soldering iron for soldering, but this was one I've never used as it was way too powerful for anything I might do.
Previously I used my tin can full of holes with burning heat beads to keep it going, so I needed quite a few holes to support the combustion required to keep it alight. With the soldering iron, I can choke it down a lot more because it will never go out. I think I'll make a new tin can with less holes, and a large adjustable hole in the top by way of two lids with large holes that I can rotate to make whatever size hole I need. This should allow total control over how much smoke is made, and with some marks on the lids, I should be able to keep a record of what setting it was on, and what worked and what didn't.
But it does seem that everything works, no matter what you do so don't be too stressed over recipes and instructions. Just have a go, and you wont be disappointed.
120 Things in 20 years - Should have done a bit more research before trying to make a cold smoker because a soldering iron works really well.
*using a soldering iron for a cold smoker is NOT an original 120 things idea
Things so far...
Animation (5) Aquaponics (339) Bread (15) Cheese (15) cooking (49) electronics (57) Epic adventurer (20) Escargot (2) Fire (6) Fraudster (1) Handmade fishing lures (31) Home made preserves (11) Making smoked foods (11) Mold making (7) Movie watcher and critic (2) Photography (17) PVC (36) Snail farming (6) Solar hot water (26) Solar photovoltaic panels (7) Stirling Engines (11) Thinking (50) Vermiculture (1) Wind energy (25)
The bell siphon was a clever thing for someone to design, and as such you feel a bit of that "clever" rub off onto you when you m...
You see CHIFT PIST a lot in the aquaponics forums and it means "constant height in fish tank, pump in sump tank". And its a very g...
A "bell siphon" is a device that automates the flooding and draining of an aquaponics grow bed, even though the pump is adding wa...
Painting lures is easier if you don't know how. I don't, so I'm already well on my way. I started by owning a printer. That ...
A while ago I tried to make a fish fed fish feeder design that would allow the fish to feed themselves. I think It's made. I say &q...
Apparently, marron come in two varieties. Hairy and not so hairy. Cherax cainii (smooth) and Cherax tenuimanus, or Margret River marron (hai...
With a little practice its possible to make a screw. If you bend your wire into an eyelet, its possible to make a screw in eyelet. The use...
In aquaponics, one issue that can effect your success rate is the pH of your water. pH is a measure of water's (or soil's or whateve...
I had an idea, but now I'm not sure it was mine after all. But here it is anyway. I need to get solids out of the water for the NFT, ...
This post is a follow up to the " handmade fishing lures how to get most out of your printer " post describing my way to colour ha...