Aquaponics - Plants

Most plants love the environment provided by an aquaponics garden. Fast growing green leafy ones love it even more than everything else because there is always as much water and nutrient as the plants need.



Spinach (baby spinach pictured here), lettuce, basil etc will all grow amazingly fast in an aquaponics system. From what I'm told, the only plants that are probably not worth planting in aquaponics are ...

- mint, because it goes crazy and will take over the planet given half a chance.
-root crops like potatoes,  because it seems potatoes think its funny to make little ones in your siphon standpipe and everywhere else you don't want one. They block all your pipes and cause a stack of problems.
-beans. There are conflicting reports about beans. It seems beans don't like immature systems but grow just fine in systems that are a couple of years old.

One very important thing to keep in mind is just how much produce you are going to get from each plant. Don't plant out a half a dozen of anything that bears multiple fruit (like zucchini) unless you are in a family of ten or are planing on setting up a roadside stall. I've heard reports of well over a hundred cucumbers from a single plant and insane numbers of tomatoes.

Remember to plant things like lettuce every week or so to ensure a constant supply. You can just sprinkle seeds around and they will pop up some time later when you disturb the grow media. As you harvest a lettuce another will take its share of the light and grow like mad!

You can grow things very closely together because there is always plenty of nutrient and water. The plants don't need to compete for stuff that plants like so they all get along just fine. So plant them as close together as you can, allowing for just enough space to grow to full size.

4 comments:

  1. 120 things in 20 years. Interesting concept! If each "thing" is a project will you keep each project going when you move onto the next project? Will you have enough room for twenty projects? Will some of the projects complement other projects, such as build a generator to run the aquaponics pump? I will watch this site with interest

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very early days at the moment so to be honest I'm not really sure what it is I'm doing :)

    My plan is to continue each project for as long as the project demands. In the case of aquaponics, I plan to feed myself from fish and vegetables for ever.

    Each thing I do will be something I want to do so there is a fair chance it will continue for ever. If I do continue with the activity I intend to post an update whenever it seems like a good idea.

    I have no firm ideas regarding what I'll do past the very next, and that's the way I want to keep it. I'd rather be able to change my mind than have have to stick to a schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The rules for rainwater harvesting are simple. For every square metre of roof area create a 20 litre capacity for storage or recharge. For every square metre of paved area create a 10 litre capacity for storage or recharge. If you make a recharge well make it at least 3 metres deep.
    underground water tank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a shame that you're a bot, Tankstar rainwater storage solutions, because I would love to chat about your notion that such a calculation is simple, and for instance, doesnt need to take my sunny Saharra Desert location into account, or even my Mawsynram holiday house with it's annual rainfall of 11,872 millimetres (467.4 in).

      I don't think you know what you're talking about, and I will buy my rainwater solutions elsewhere.

      If you're not a bot, you could try making your spam on topic.

      Delete

Popular Posts